As a science and technology company, we are convinced that we can help to combat the global challenges resulting from Covid-19. Our top priority is ensuring the health and safety of our employees and their families and continuing our business activities for the benefit of the many patients, scientists, and customers who depend on us. In specific terms, our commitment takes various forms:
- We are collaborating with other healthcare and life sciences companies as well as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to accelerate the development, manufacture, and delivery of vaccines, diagnostics, and treatments for Covid-19 and to enhance access for everyone around the world.
- We are part of the European CARE (Corona Accelerated R&D in Europe) consortium, which aims to accelerate the discovery and development of urgently needed medicines to treat SARS-CoV2, the virus that causes Covid-19.
- Our Life Science products and services are supporting pharma and biotech companies in the development of Covid-19 vaccines and treatments, including more than 50 potential Covid-19 vaccines, more than 35 solutions for testing, and more than 20 monoclonal antibodies, plasma products, and antiviral drugs.
- We donated units of our drug Rebif® to the World Health Organization (WHO), the French Institute for Health and Medical Research (INSERM) and the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) for investigation in Covid-19 clinical trials.1
- We are conducting a Phase II study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of M5049 in patients with Covid-19 pneumonia. The aim of the study is to investigate if M5049 may prevent or ameliorate the hyper-inflammatory response in these patients and prevent progression to ‛cytokine storm’.
- We are producing electronic materials that allow the global scientific community to interact intensively and share the results of their important work, among other things.
- We are particularly proud of the exceptional performance of our employees during these pandemic times. Thanks to their contribution, we succeeded in staying on course and achieving good results in 2020. To honor this contribution, around 46,000 employees worldwide received a one-time bonus payment.
- Above and beyond this, we are supporting many who are doing great things in the fight against the pandemic with donations in-kind and financial donations. To that end, we approved more than € 8 million in Covid-19-related donations in 2020, including two million FFP2 respiratory masks and more than 240,000 liters of disinfectant, among other things.
You can find more information on our contribution to combating the global challenges resulting from Covid-19 in the following sections on the business sectors and on our website: https://www.emdgroup.com/en/company/press/press-kits/corona-pandemic.html.
* The contents of this chapter or section are voluntary and therefore not audited. However, our auditor has read the text critically.
1 To date, Rebif® is not approved by any regulatory authority for the treatment of Covid-19 or for use as an antiviral agent.