Kai Beckmann, born on September 13, 1965 in Hanau, Germany, joined the Executive Board of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany in April 2011. He is responsible for the Electronics business sector (formerly Performance Materials), which he has been leading as CEO since September 2017. In October 2018, Kai Beckmann took also over the responsibility for the Darmstadt site and Inhouse Consulting. In addition, he acts as Country Speaker Germany with responsibility for co-determination matters.
Prior to his current role, Kai Beckmann was Chief Administration Officer of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany with responsibility for Group Human Resources, Group Business Technology, Group Procurement, Inhouse Consulting, Site Operations and Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany Business Services as well as Environment, Health, Safety, Security, Quality. In 2007, he became the first CIO of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, with responsibility for Corporate Information Services. From 2004 to 2007, he served as Managing Director of the Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany companies in Singapore and Malaysia, and prior to that he held senior executive responsibility for the Information Management and Consulting unit from 1999 to 2004. He began his career at Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany in 1989 as an IT system consultant.
Kai Beckmann studied computer science at the Technical University of Darmstadt from 1984 to 1989. In 1998, he earned a doctorate in Economics while working. He is married and has one son.
Responsibility for Group functions
- Patents & Scientific Information
- Site Management
- Inhouse Consulting
- German Federation of Chemical Employers' Associations (BAVC), President
- Confederation of German Employers' Associations (BDA), Vice President
- Bundesdruckerei GmbH, Member of the Supervisory Board
- Bundesdruckerei Gruppe GmbH, Berlin, Germany (not listed)
- Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics Research IGD, Chairman of the Advisory Board
- acatech - National Academy of Science and Engineering, Member of the Senate
The Curriculum Vitae of the Executive Board Members are updated when changes occur or regularly upon the publication of the invitation to the annual general meeting.
(Updated on: February 2023)