In 2021, we reflected — and then acted. We pledged to our people, partners, patients and communities to intensify our DE&I efforts, set bold aspirations, develop solid plans and hold ourselves accountable. In 2022, we completed the rollout of our new strategy and showed that we are on track to achieve our 2030 goals.
Our world is beautifully diverse — and so is our company. We believe that championing a diverse workforce helps us better understand the needs of our stakeholders, exceed our customers’ expectations, stay economically and socially sustainable and, most of all, drive the kind of groundbreaking innovation that advances human progress.
Facts & Figures
people leaders in inclusive leadership workshop since program start in 2021
internal DE&I employee groups and networks
generations working for the future of science & technology
women in leadership, on track towards gender parity aspiration
women in the workplace
minimal adjusted gender pay gap
underrepresented groups in the U.S. leadership
We are working to create an environment where all can belong, grow and thrive… today, tomorrow and for the next 350 years.
Select Awards and Recognitions
- 2022 Honorary Award for outstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion (BeyondGenderAgenda) - Belén Garijo, Chair of the Executive Board and CEO of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
- World's Top Female Friendly Companies - Forbes
- Europe's 100 Most Inclusive Companies - Financial Times
- 100% Score on Corporate Equality Index (CEI) - fourth consecutive year
- Best Places to Work for LGBTQ+ Equality - Human Rights Campaign
- Top Large Companies in LGBTQ+ Diversity Performance Index - Uhlala Group
- No. 6 in German Diversity Index 2023 - BeyondGenderAgenda
- No. 17 out of 100 in BCG Gender Diversity Study - Boston Consulting Group & Technical University of Munich
Empathetic leaders connect, listen, inspire and motivate. They are inclusive, self-aware and capable of engaging beyond classic work topics. They take the pulse of the team, understand their needs and make sure they feel heard. They recognize that we all want to work with purpose and we all want to work successfully.
Our Path Forward
As we embark on the next phase of our journey to create a workplace where everyone feels welcome, valued and appreciated, we are committed to being intentional and accountable in executing our DE&I strategy. We recognize the importance of seeking diverse perspectives and engaging in honest and courageous conversations to deliver the best solutions for our patients, customers and communities. From our senior leaders to our front-line employees, we will model inclusive behaviors and take a stand against bias.
What do you think? How can we better accelerate positive change in our company or with our customers and partners? Do you have any other feedback for us? Reach out and tell us about it with an email to NADiversity@emdgroup.com.
Chief DE&I Officer