Kai Beckmann, born on September 13, 1965 in Hanau, Germany, joined the Executive Board of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany in April 2011.
He is responsible for the Performance Materials business sector, which he has been leading as CEO since September 2017. In addition, he acts as Country Speaker Germany with responsibility for co-determination matters.
Prior to his current role, Kai Beckmann was Chief Administration Officer of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany with responsibility for Group Human Resources, Group Business Technology, Group Procurement, Inhouse Consulting, Site Operations and Merck KgaA, Darmstadt, Germany Business Services as well as Environment, Health, Safety, Security, Quality.
In 2007, he became the first CIO of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, with responsibility for Corporate Information Services. From 2004 to 2007, he served as Managing Director of the Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany companies in Singapore and Malaysia, and prior to that he held senior executive responsibility for the Information Management and Consulting unit from 1999 to 2004. He began his career at Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany in 1989 as an IT system consultant.
Kai Beckmann studied computer science at the Technical University of Darmstadt from 1984 to 1989. In 1998, he earned a doctorate in Business Administration while working. He is married and has one child.
Responsibility for Group functions
- Patents & Scientific Information
- German Federation of Chemical Employers' Associations (BAVC), President
- Employers' Association for the Chemical and Related Industries in the State of Hesse (HessenChemie), Member of the Board
- Bundesdruckerei GmbH, Member of the Supervisory Board
- Chamber of Industry and Commerce Darmstadt Rhein Main Neckar (IHK Darmstadt), Member of the Board
- Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics Research IGD, Chairman of the Advisory Board