Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, Explores Digital Transformations at Displaying Futures Symposium in Tokyo
- Globally renowned thinkers in robotics, AI and design discuss how digital transformations will affect people’s lives in the future
- Global initiative of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, invites experts from beyond its field of business share views on the evolution and potential of technology
Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, a leading science and technology company, has convened its eighth Displaying Futures symposium in Tokyo. The theme of this year’s event is Digital Transformations. Experts in robotics, artificial intelligence (AI) and design will examine digital transformation from various angles and explore current developments affecting individuals and society.
Every year, Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, a market leader in high–technology materials, including liquid crystals for displays, hosts the symposium to stimulate interdisciplinary dialogue regarding the evolution and potential of technology, and its future impact on society.
Kai Beckmann, Member of the Executive Board & CEO Performance Materials, said, “Our company is driven by curiosity and the passion to help create a better society. Since our founding in 1668, we have consistently innovated towards this goal. This is the second time we are holding the Displaying Futures symposium in Tokyo. As digital technologies rapidly change the world around us, this dialogue enables us to anticipate important societal and product-related trends and share ideas for developing new strategies that can expand business opportunities. We look forward to exchanging new insights with our customers and partners on how technology helps to advance science and will shape future society.”
Ralf Annasentz, Representative Director, Chairman and President of Merck Ltd. in Japan, a subsidiary of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, said, “The Displaying Futures initiative started here in Japan seven years ago, and we are delighted to once again host this event. Japan, the most advanced country in the domains of AI and robotics, is the best place for a dialogue on digital transformation. We are sure that this discussion will stimulate the curiosity of all the participants.”
- Neil Harbisson, artist and cyborg activist. As the first cyborg to be recognized by a government, Neil will talk about how technology can extend the boundaries of human perception.
- Anab Jain, co-founder of London-based design studio Superflux, will outline the firm’s design process, and how it responds to current digital, societal, cultural and technological changes. She will also give her views on what she considers to be today’s core topics and challenges in the fields of technology and design.
- Tomotaka Takahashi, one of Japan’s leading experts on robotics and founder of ROBO GARAGE Co., LTD., will highlight the potential of robots and the roles they might play in people’s everyday lives in the future.
- Fiona Raby, one of the heads behind the design duo Dunne & Raby, will present how the firm approaches the challenges presented by new technologies and digital transformations, and discuss the part played by design in emerging technologies.
The speeches will be followed by a panel discussion, moderated by artist Sputniko!
In addition, the symposium will be accompanied by a new edition of Displaying Futures magazine, offering extensive portraits of the speakers together with essays providing further insights into digital transformation.
Through Displaying Futures, Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, will continue to bring together designers, architects, artists, scientists and experts from various fields for inspiring dialogue offering new viewpoints on how society will develop in the future.
All Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, press releases are distributed by e-mail at the same time they become available on the EMD Group Website. In case you are a resident of the USA or Canada please go to www.emdgroup.com/subscribe to register again for your online subscription of this service as our newly introduced geo-targeting requires new links in the email. You may later change your selection or discontinue this service.
About Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, is a leading science and technology company in healthcare, life science and performance materials. Around 50,000 employees work to further develop technologies that improve and enhance life – from biopharmaceutical therapies to treat cancer or multiple sclerosis, cutting-edge systems for scientific research and production, to liquid crystals for smartphones and LCD televisions. In 2016, Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, generated sales of € 15.0 billion in 66 countries.
Founded in 1668, Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, is the world's oldest pharmaceutical and chemical company. The founding family remains the majority owner of the publicly listed corporate group. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, holds the global rights to the „Merck” name and brand. The only exceptions are the United States and Canada, where the company operates as EMD Serono, MilliporeSigma and EMD Performance Materials.
Based on high demand expected to continue throughout the year and a very strong first quarter of 2021 with net sales of EUR 4.63 bn resulting in EBITDA pre of EUR 1.51 bn and EPS pre of EUR 2.18, ...