Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany Announces Opening of its Life Science Business’ Largest M Lab™ Collaboration Center in Shanghai
- Focus on improving and optimizing drug discovery, development and manufacturing
- Integrated lab with customizable solutions, validation services, training and hands-on applications
- Shanghai center is newest and largest addition to the global network of nine M Lab™ Collaboration Centers operated by the Life Science business
Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, a leading science and technology company, today announced the opening of a M LabTM Collaboration Center in Shanghai, the largest of nine centers worldwide operated by the company’s Life Science business.
“With the booming pharmaceutical industry in Asia and greater emphasis on novel drug therapies, we see an increase in R&D on leading-edge treatments including cell and gene therapies in China,” said Udit Batra, member of the Executive Board and CEO, Life Science business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany. “Our M LabTM Collaboration Center offers customizable solutions and services that help bio pharmaceutical and biologics companies improve their processes from drug discovery, development to manufacturing — saving costs and increasing speed to market.”
With a total lab size of approximately 10,000m2, the newest M LabTM Collaboration Center is located in Pudong, at the heart of the biomedical sciences and research community in Shanghai.
The new M LabTM Collaboration Center in Shanghai offers customizable solutions tailored for China’s Life Science community to help advance drug development. It includes Pilot Scale and Process Development support labs that offer non-GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) lab space where pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical manufacturers can explore ideas, learn innovative techniques and work side-by-side with the company’s scientists and engineers to solve critical process development and production challenges. Customers can participate in product demonstrations, hands-on training, formal bioprocessing educational courses and experiments, as well as apply best practices and new approaches to develop, optimize and scale-up processes and simplify global technology transfer.
Customers will also be able to tap into the following Life Science business offerings:
- Lab Management Software: This digital platform helps scientists improve efficiency and processes by automating workflows and connecting lab instruments via the cloud. The software centralizes research information, allowing researchers to move away from transferring and documenting data by hand, increasing productivity and helping them to avoid costly errors.
- Customized Cell Culture Media facility: This facility develops cell culture media, which are used in the production of biopharmaceuticals and will be used for non-GMP pilot production.
- Solid Dose Formulation facility: This facility helps ensure drugs in tablet/capsule/powder form contain high quality excipients and active pharmaceutical ingredients. This facility will support customers in China and around the world.
Additionally, the center will host a new BioReliance® End-to-End Solutions GMP manufacturing facility offering contract development manufacturing organization services to customers in China and Asia-Pacific.
As a leading innovator in the pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical industry, the Life Science business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany is committed to playing an active role in China’s transformation into an innovation- driven economy. Through this new center, the business will collaborate with local and regional customers to increase drug quality and safety and provide training and knowledge transfer.
All Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany news releases are distributed by email at the same time they become available on the EMD Group website. In case you are a resident of the USA or Canada please go to www.emdgroup.com/subscribe to register for your online subscription of this service as our geo-targeting requires new links in the email. You may later change your selection or discontinue this service.
About Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, a leading science and technology company, operates across healthcare, life science and performance materials. Around 57,000 employees work to make a positive difference to millions of people’s lives every day by creating more joyful and sustainable ways to live. From advancing gene editing technologies and discovering unique ways to treat the most challenging diseases to enabling the intelligence of devices – the company is everywhere. In 2019, Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, generated sales of €16.2 billion in 66 countries.
The company holds the global rights to the name and trademark “Merck” internationally. The only exceptions are the United States and Canada, where the business sectors of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany operate as EMD Serono in healthcare, MilliporeSigma in life science, and EMD Performance Materials. Since its founding 1668, scientific exploration and responsible entrepreneurship have been key to the company’s technological and scientific advances. To this day, the founding family remains the majority owner of the publicly listed company.
Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany and the manager magazin today inducted Emmanuelle Charpentier (51) into the Hall of Fame of German Research.