How we measure sustainability
In order to effectively manage sustainability and successfully implement our sustainability strategy, we define targets and key performance indicators. We are also developing tools to measure our progress and to help us align our business in a sustainable and future-proof way.
But we are not the only ones who evaluate our sustainability performance. Rating agencies also analyze and assess our success. We use their results in order to continuously develop and improve further.
Goals and performance indicators
In our sustainability strategy, we have defined three far-reaching goals.
- In 2030, we will achieve human progress for more than one billion people through sustainable science and technology.
- By 2030, we will integrate sustainability into all our value chains.
- By 2040, we will achieve climate neutrality and reduce our resource consumption.
By concentrating on these topics, we are contributing to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
To support the achievement of the goals set out in our sustainability strategy, we have formulated specific environmental targets for 2030. These include lowering direct greenhouse gas emissions as well as emissions from energy purchases (Scope 1 and 2) by -50% by 2030 in comparison with 2020. Moreover, it means reducing indirect greenhouse gas emissions from the upstream and downstream value chain (Scope 3) by 1,500 metric kilotons of CO2 equivalents by 2030. More information on our environmental targets can be found here.
We also collect other key figures that cover a wide range of environmental, social and economic aspects. We communicate these key figures annually in our Sustainability Report.
We develop methods and tools to evaluate our products and initiatives with regard to sustainability aspects with a focus on how our technologies and applications impact society, the environment and our business.
Through the Sustainable Business Value method, which we developed, we can calculate and evaluate the positive and negative impacts of our products, technologies and business activities on society. In doing so, we include the entire value chain. This knowledge and data help us drive sustainability across our business operations and position ourselves for future success.
Sustainable product development and research is the focus of our online tool DOZN™. It allows us and our customers to evaluate chemicals and processes – and specifically search for more sustainable alternatives.
Indices and ratings
We are not the only ones evaluating our non-financial performance. It is also assessed externally by investors and customers who use this information as a basis for their decisions.
The following overview shows selected assessments that we have received.
ESG Rating from MSCI1View website
ESG Rating from MSCI1
In 2021, we again received a rating of “AAA” (on a scale of AAA-CCC) in the MSCI ESG Ratings assessment.
Since 2008, our company has been included in FTSE4Good, an internationally leading sustainability index that annually measures the performance of companies demonstrating strong environmental, social and ethical practices.
STOXX® Global ESG Leaders IndexView website
STOXX® Global ESG Leaders Index
In 2019, our share was again included in STOXX Global ESG Leaders Index, a sustainability index based on key environmental, social and governance criteria.
Ethibel Sustainability IndexVire website
Ethibel Sustainability Index
Our company has been reconfirmed as a constituent of the Ethibel Sustainability Index (ESI) Excellence Europe since May 2020, based on VigeoEiris.
Access to Medicine IndexView website
Access to Medicine Index
In 2021, our company came in eighth place in the Access to Medicine Index. This index assesses 20 pharmaceutical companies with respect to their efforts to improve access to medicine in developing countries. It is published every two years by the Access to Medicine Foundation.
In the CDP Climate (formerly the Carbon Disclosure Project) we scored a B in 2020. In addition to reporting on our climate action, since 2016 we have been reporting our water-related performance and processes to the CDP. In 2020, we received a B for our water management practice.
The independent rating agency EcoVadis assesses suppliers from 160 countries across the categories of environment, social affairs, ethics, and sustainable procurement. In 2021 we were again awarded the Platin recognition level and were thus among the top 1% of all participating companies.
ESG company ratingView website
ESG company rating
In 2019, the Institutional Shareholder Services (ISS) group of companies again granted us Prime Status (“good” to “very good”) as in 2018.
In October 2021, we received an improved ESG risk rating of 18.3 and were assessed by Sustainalytics to be at low risk of experiencing material financial impacts from ESG factors. This rating places us in the top 3% of the pharmaceutical industry assessed by Sustainalytics.
Curious to learn more?
The United Nations defined 17 global goals for sustainable development. We too are doing our part to support.Find out more
Responsible supply chain
When procuring raw materials, products and services from all over the world, we pay attention to quality, prices and compliance with ethical and legal standards.Find out more
Because it’s up to all of us to protect the climate and the environment, we are working to lower our emissions and manage natural resources responsibly.Find out more
1) The use by Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany of any MSCI ESG Research LLC or its affiliates (“MSCI”) data, and the use of MSCI logos, trademarks, service marks or index names herein, do not constitute a sponsorship, endorsement, recommendation, or promotion of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany by MSCI. MSCI services and data are the property of MSCI or its information providers, and are provided “as-is” and without warranty. MSCI names and logos are trademarks or service marks of MSCI.
2) Copyright ©2020 Sustainalytics. All rights reserved. This section contains information developed by Sustainalytics (www.sustainalytics.com). Such information and data are proprietary of Sustainalytics and/or its third party suppliers (Third Party Data) and are provided for informational purposes only. They do not constitute an endorsement of any product or project, nor an investment advice and are not warranted to be complete, timely, accurate or suitable for a particular purpose. Their use is subject to conditions available at https://www.sustainalytics.com/legal-disclaimers.