How we measure sustainability
In order to effectively manage sustainability and successfully implement our sustainability strategy, we define targets and key indicators. We are also developing tools to measure our progress and to help us align our business in a sustainable and future-proof way.
But we are not the only ones who evaluate our sustainability performance. Rating agencies also analyze and assess our success. We use their results in order to continuously develop and improve further.
Goals and key indicators
In our sustainability strategy, we have defined three far-reaching goals:
- In 2030, we will achieve human progress for more than one billion people through sustainable science and technology.
- By 2030, we will integrate sustainability into all our value chains.
- By 2040, we will achieve climate neutrality and reduce our resource consumption.
In 2021, we defined various strategic key indicators in order to record and measure progress made towards our three sustainability goals. More information on our sustainability-related key indicators can be found in our Sustainability Report.
We also collect other key figures that cover a wide range of environmental, social and economic aspects. We communicate these key figures annually in the Facts & Figures chapter of our Sustainability Report.
As of fiscal 2022, the compensation of our Executive Board includes a sustainability factor. Details on how this sustainability factor is calculated can be found in the Compensation Report.
We develop methods and tools to evaluate our products and initiatives with regard to sustainability aspects with a focus on how our technologies and applications impact society, the environment and our business.
Through the Sustainable Business Value method, which we developed, we can calculate and evaluate the positive and negative impacts of our products, technologies and business activities on society. In doing so, we include the entire value chain. This knowledge and data help us drive sustainability across our business operations and position ourselves for future success.
Sustainable product development and research is the focus of our online tool DOZN™. It allows us and our customers to evaluate chemicals and processes – and specifically search for more sustainable alternatives.
Indices and ratings
We are not the only ones evaluating our non-financial performance. It is also assessed externally by investors and customers who use this information as a basis for their decisions.
The following overview shows selected assessments that we have received.
ESG Rating from MSCI1View website
ESG Rating from MSCI1
STOXX® Global ESG Leaders IndexView website
STOXX® Global ESG Leaders Index
Ethibel Sustainability IndexView website
Ethibel Sustainability Index
Access to Medicine IndexView website
Access to Medicine Index
ESG company ratingView website
ESG company rating
In 2022, we received an ESG risk rating of 21.3 and were assessed by Sustainalytics to be at medium risk of experiencing material financial impacts from ESG factors.
Curious to learn more?
Our impactThe United Nations defined 17 global goals for sustainable development. We too are doing our part to support.Find out more
Responsible supply chainWhen procuring raw materials, products and services from all over the world, we pay attention to quality, prices and compliance with ethical and legal standards.Find out more
Protecting environmentBecause it’s up to all of us to protect the climate and the environment, we are working to lower our emissions and manage natural resources responsibly.Find out more
1) The use by Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany of any MSCI ESG Research LLC or its affiliates (“MSCI”) data, and the use of MSCI logos, trademarks, service marks or index names herein, do not constitute a sponsorship, endorsement, recommendation, or promotion of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany by MSCI. MSCI services and data are the property of MSCI or its information providers, and are provided “as-is” and without warranty. MSCI names and logos are trademarks or service marks of MSCI.
2) Copyright ©2020 Sustainalytics. All rights reserved. This section contains information developed by Sustainalytics (www.sustainalytics.com). Such information and data are proprietary of Sustainalytics and/or its third party suppliers (Third Party Data) and are provided for informational purposes only. They do not constitute an endorsement of any product or project, nor an investment advice and are not warranted to be complete, timely, accurate or suitable for a particular purpose. Their use is subject to conditions available at https://www.sustainalytics.com/legal-disclaimers.