- Increasing global reach of Embracing Carers™ to include Brazil and China
- Supporting the development of an advocacy resource which aims to improve the global state of care
Darmstadt – Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, which operates its biopharmaceutical business in the U.S. and Canada as EMD Serono, today announced the continued expansion of Embracing Carers™. The global initiative, led by Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany in collaboration with leading carer organizations around the world, seeks to increase awareness, discussion, and action about the often-overlooked needs of carers. At the one-year anniversary since the launch of the global movement, Embracing Carers™ has made tangible progress in building awareness and implementing practical solutions to support caregivers.
“Caregivers are a hidden pillar within the healthcare system,” said Belén Garijo, Member of the Executive Board and CEO Healthcare at Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany. “They are critical contributors to the health and wellbeing of patients, which very often affects the carer’s health as well as financial, personal and professional development. We at Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany are committed to support the needs of caregivers and to help raise awareness of their role as a global health priority.”
With a continued focus on the pillars of awareness raising, as well as stakeholder, healthcare system, and policy engagement, Embracing Carers™ has undertaken a series of innovative activities in 2018.
Increasing Global Awareness
- Working with leading advocacy organizations and stakeholders, Embracing Carers™ has launched in Brazil. An in-country survey showed that despite unpaid caregivers feeling supported by family and finding their role rewarding, their role impacts their own physical and mental health.
- Embracing Carers™ will also undertake a dedicated roundtable meeting with health, advocacy and academic leaders in Shanghai, China. The discussion will explore the opportunities to support caregivers within China, and how Embracing Carers™ along with its national and international advisors can increase support and recognition of the crucial role that caregivers play in the country.
- To help the many thousands of unidentified caregivers around the world, Embracing Carers™ is launching an international social media campaign via Facebook that aims to tell carer stories to help individuals who are yet to identify as a carer to reflect on their own daily lives.
Engaging Healthcare Systems and Activating Policy
With support from Embracing Carers™, the International Alliance of Carer Organizations (IACO) will publish a Global State of Care Report, which has been developed to provide a global assessment of unpaid carer needs and best practices across Australia, Canada, France, Germany, India, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom and the United States. The Report will be launched at the International Forum on Care and Caregiving in Toronto, Canada on November 22, 2018.
“Recognition and support of caregivers is a global priority. Since its launch, Embracing Carers™ has made positive steps to bring visibility and advance actions for caregivers,” said Nadine Henningsen, IACO Board Chair. “IACO, along with the other strategic advisors, will continue to guide Embracing Carers™ and leverage advocacy resources, such as the Global State of Care Report, to continue building on this momentum.”
Broadening Stakeholder Engagement to Foster Best Practice
IACO, with the support of Embracing Carers™, is developing a series of Innovative Carer Practices (ICPs) that will showcase evidence-informed practices that enhance the quality and effectiveness of integrated care for caregivers to identify, spread and scale promising practices for caregivers. ICPs from France, Ireland, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom will be showcased across the world throughout 2018 and 2019.
Embracing Carers™ has provided support to leading patient organizations who are leading efforts targeted to patients and caregivers globally.
Embracing Carers™ is a global movement led by Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany in collaboration with leading carer organizations around the world to increase awareness and discussion about the often-overlooked needs of caregivers. The initiative plays a major role in raising awareness about the importance of caregivers as a global health priority. For more information on Embracing Carers™, visit our website at www.embracingcarers.com