Semiconductor Solutions COVID-19 Information Center
Latest update - 3rd june 2020
Where we currently stand
- We continue to ensure that our products and services reach our customers. EMD Performance Materials is monitoring each country, state and local regulations and are complying with their individual guidelines.
- We are taking a step-by-step approach to return to the physical locations, with priority on our R&D and production facilities. Timing will differ from country to country, as the virus has hit different nations at different stages. This phased-in approach includes how to prioritize return, implementing social distancing rules, employee dedensification, provisioning and use of PPE, compulsory wearing of masks when employees cannot maintain a physical distance of two meters from other individuals, employee testing, hygiene and cleaning requirements (among many others). Our respective country leadership teams are handling the transition, initiating measures, and following local regulations.
- Our employees have been asked to continue to keep business trips to an absolute minimum.
- Non-essential visits of external parties or visitors to our facilities are being avoided until further notice. External consultants and contractors with permanent visitor badges working for the company on a regular basis are excluded.
- We are not limiting deliveries of our suppliers to the EMD Performance Materials facilities, but are implementing additional safety and protection measures at our entry gates and goods receiving areas.
How we are helping
- Future Insight Prize for identification diagnostics and treatment options for Covid-19
- Attend an Event: “Mask Innovations for Virus Transmission Control” (The six-part series is hosted by global life science leader MilliporeSigma in collaboration with Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) Center for Collective Intelligence and MIT Media Lab’s Community Biotechnology Initiative)
- Read a message from our Executive Board
- Feel free to contact your customer service representative, account manager, or reach out to us via our COVID-19 Semiconductor Solutions communications hotline: COVID19_Semiconductors@emdgroup.com to handle your specific customer questions and supply needs.
Update - 8th may 2020
Where we currently stand
- At EMD Performance Materials, our collective goal is to support efforts to slow the rate of transmission, and thus reduce the risk of overwhelming regional healthcare systems.
- At the same time, we continue to ensure that our products and services continue to reach our customers.
- As this pandemic is very fluid in nature, our global crisis management teams are continuing to monitor and proactively handle the COVID-19 virus, as it relates to our customers, supply chain and employees. We continue to monitor each country, state and local regulations and are complying with their individual guidelines.
- All global employees that can work from home are still asked to do so. Employees, such as those working in manufacturing, distribution, R&D labs and quality control who need to be onsite to perform their work, can continue to do so while adopting measures to increase social distance and maximize hygiene (i.e. hand-washing, avoiding contact with face and eyes, and using proper cough/sneeze etiquette).
- Our employees at the global headquarters in Darmstadt, Germany have begun gradually returning to their offices. The transition back to the headquarters follows the guidance of the global crisis team, beginning with employees who are eager to return to their office-based work. We are progressing with caution and care into the “focused vigilance” phase, as health and safety of our employees remain our top priority.
- In the United States, EMD Performance Materials has identified as an essential business. Therefore, in compliance with all applicable state and federal regulations and guidance, we have continued to operate. In these instances, our Corporate and Government Relations groups are working diligently with local and state government officials to assure we are in full compliance with requirements and fully supporting the regional guidance.
- Our global task forces are developing guidance to prepare us for the next steps in returning to other onsite locations. This includes how to prioritize return, social distancing rules, employee dedensification, provisioning and use of PPE, compulsory wearing of masks when employees cannot maintain a physical distance of two meters from other individuals, employee testing, hygiene and cleaning requirements (among many others).
How we are helping
update - 17th april 2020
Where we currently stand
- Our global crisis management teams are continuing to monitor and proactively handle the COVID-19 virus, as it relates to our customers, supply chain and employees.
- We are monitoring each country, state and local regulations and are complying with their individual guidelines.
- Our global employees are continuing to work from home, staying engaged with our customers and each other. If an employee is considered “core essential” to a production facility, we are working with those employees to make sure that they are healthy, and following precautionary safety, hygiene and protective measures. Travel and group meeting restrictions are still in effect.
- As “stay at home” mandates are lifted in various regions globally, we will access the situation to make sure that we remain compliant, ensure continuity and continue to protect our employees.
How we’re helping
- View our op-ed article “Five Point Plan against Pandemics” featuring information from Stefan Oschmann, CEO of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, and Wolfgang Ischinger, Chairman of the Munich Security Conference, in the German business daily “Handelsblatt“ from March 30, 2020.
- Find out about our program with The Jenner Institute introducing a joint foundation for large-scale production of its Covid-19 vaccine candidate, ChAdOx1 nCoV-19.
- Learn more about our donation of 150,000 liters of disinfectant to the State of Hesse.
- Read more about our collaboration with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to commit expertise and assets to the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
Message from the Leadership Team - 1st april 2020
As you know, we are in the midst of an exceptionally challenging time worldwide. Every person and business, in one way or another, is impacted. It’s important for everyone to stay informed, united, and safe.
At Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany we have taken steps to minimize potential risks in our Semiconductor Solutions business while ensuring continuity. Our employees and our customers, as always, remain our top priorities.
Steps we have taken
- Our global crisis management teams are continuously monitoring and proactively handling this situation at a global, country, state and local level. As guidelines are very fluid region by region, we are in regular contact with authorities and experts to implement appropriate measures.
- The health and safety of our employees is our utmost priority. Where possible, our global employees are urged to work from home if their tasks can be executed remotely. Employees whose tasks are considered as “core essential” for production are reporting to their operating plants where they are required to strictly apply precautionary safety, hygiene and protective measures.
- In the United States, our companies have been deemed as critical suppliers of essential semiconductor materials, specialty chemicals and equipment, and related services. Our employees have been supplied with a travel authorization letter so that they can travel locally to their operating plants.
- In addition, we have implemented travel and group meeting restrictions on all personnel to help mitigate potential health risks.
- We understand that you might have questions around your specific situation or product supply. Our account management team and supply team are working closely with customers to make sure that we are all aligned on the specifics of their orders.
In addition, we have established a COVID-19 Semiconductor Solutions communications hotline to handle your specific customer questions and supply needs.
Steps we continue to take
- We’re committed to running safe and responsible operations in the regions where we operate and remain dedicated to minimal disruption to our customer supply chain.
- We’re committed to our customers to communicate promptly should there be any impact on their individual orders.
- We’re committed to the ongoing safety and health of our employees.
- Given the dynamic nature of the situation, we’re committed to continually assess the longer-term impact on our employees, customers and supply chain and proactively respond.
How we’re helping globally
- All of us at Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, 57,000 people in 66 countries, are dedicated to serving patients, scientists and customers around the globe in these times. With our products and services, we contribute to the global COVID-19 response in many ways. To find out more about some of our innovations and solutions, please visit our website.
We greatly appreciate the support we have received from both our customers and employees. We look forward to continuing these relationships well into the future.
Executive Vice President
Performance Materials | Semiconductor Materials
EMD Performance Materials Corp. and Versum Materials US, LLC
(each a subsidiary of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany)